* - - - - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

lokster

lokster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
This is a guide on how to install windows 7 and Mountain Lion or Lion onto one partition and use the Chameleon GUI boot loader to select which operating system you want. Using EasyBCD is boring and just not customizable

Ive assumed you have a Windows 7 DVD and a Lion/ML Install Disk (iAtkos or Unibeast)

Ive personally used Windows 7 Ultimate and iAtkos L2 Lion Install Disk

You need to download a copy of Chameleon Boot loader also

1. Install Windows 7, while in the install phase, Partition 2 disks, 1 for Windows 7 and 1 for Lion
2. After installing windows 7 Insert Mountain Lion and install
3. While in the Install Phase, Create a new partition with the disk utility(the one you didnt use for windows) and format it mac journaled. install Lion and boot to desktop
3a. if you didnt use iAtkos install disk, use chameleon and install it now. it will install as an application.
4. Now you cannot boot into windows 7. No problem
4a. Reboot and insert the windows 7 dvd drive
click next and select repair at the bottom left

Select command prompt and type in
(type and press enter after each line)
Diskpart.exe
list disk
select disk 0 <---normally your 1 disk with two partitions, windows and Mac
list partition <---- if you see 3 DO NOT PANIC, system reserved is where the windows 7 boot location is
select partition <----SELECT the system reserved partition(very important, its around 100mb)
active<----set selected partition as active
exit<----exit the diskpart program

now close the command prompt and repair the computer(1st option)
once repaired you will boot into windows! tadah windows is fixed.
rename your hard drive in my computer to Windows(you will see why later)
but you cant boot back into mac?
once you are back in windows click start>and in the search bar type cmd>enter

type and press enter after each line
diskpart.exe
select disk 0
select partition <-----select MAC partition(it wont show the names but you can differentiate from the sizes of the partition)
active
exit

now restart ANNNNND chameleon should come up with 3 options
system reserved
windows
mac

Press system reserved to boot to windows, and mac to boot to mac

TO FIX it to just TWO options Windows or Mac

DO NOT RENAME SYSTEM RESERVED AT ALL! YOU WILL MESS UP THE BOOTING OF WINDOWS
DO NOT RENAME SYSTEM RESERVED AT ALL! YOU WILL MESS UP THE BOOTING OF WINDOWS

boot to mac
Click mac hard drive on desktop OR finder
>extras>org.chameleon.boot.plist <---copy this file to desktop AND make a back up copy somewhere

EDIT the org.chameleon.boot.plist in the desktop BY right clicking and opening with text edit application

add
<key>Rename Partition</key>
<string>"System Reserved" Windows 7</string>

to hide useless windows 7 hard drive

<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>"Windows"</string>

once that is done, save it and copy it back to where the original org.chameleon.boot.plist is on. once that is done

REBOOT! and you can down beautifully dual boot and select between windows 7 and Mac Lion/Mountain Lion!

congrats! :eagerness:

Edited by lokster, 24 August 2012 - 01:47 AM.

sniper9911

sniper9911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
what method did you use when you installed mountain lion MBR or GPT ?
how did you get chameleon installed ??
where did you install it and how ??
I hope you can clear those questions
I am stuck at installing chameleon this moment

thanks

can you post some images proofing this method ??

Edited by sniper9911, 24 August 2012 - 12:32 AM.

lokster

lokster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
installed it as MBR
download chameleon here and just install it as an APP, it comes built in with iAtkos
Either install it after you installed Lion/ML or use the iAtkos build which comes with it pre-built

i will upload screenshots when i can but for now this is how my boot loader looks like after doing everything, also themed it

Posted Image

sniper9911

sniper9911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I know how to make mbr dual boot or more works (this is very easy you know )
I want a guid partitioned hdd dual boot or even just boot with chameleon because you can't set a partition active on it
you need to control it from efi (I mean real guid not a hybird)
I am telling you this because I am planing to triple boot windows 7 , windows 8 when released , and mac os x mountain lion
I was able to install windows 7 and windows 8 cp successfully on a gpt disk and dualboot via windows boot loader
the problem occurs with mac os x :
I install it and boot to it via usb the installer stick
I install chameleon via package installer and then reboot
I expected to reach chameleon bootloader but I reached windows bootloader instead
I want to triple boot from chameleon not from windows bootloader
I would appreciate the help if possible
I am willing to make the efi partition for chameleon only if it is going to boot but I can't make I lt to do that so far

soheil2010

soheil2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the tutorial
could you explain this line:
wouldn't it format my drive?!!!

lokster

lokster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Thanks for the tutorial
could you explain this line:
wouldn't it format my drive?!!!

no it wouldnt, in windows 7 you see Local Disk C:, long click on that and you will be able to rename the hard drive

I want a guid partitioned hdd dual boot or even just boot with chameleon because you can't set a partition active on it
I am telling you this because I am planing to triple boot windows 7 , windows 8 when released , and mac os x mountain lion
I was able to install windows 7 and windows 8 cp successfully on a gpt disk and dualboot via windows boot loader
I expected to reach chameleon bootloader but I reached windows bootloader instead
I am willing to make the efi partition for chameleon only if it is going to boot but I can't make I lt to do that so far

im not sure how to triple boot using guid partition and having an efi partition.
doesnt setting which partition active in Diskpart.exe work?
installing chameleon on MAC should make that partition active, but check in chameleon, i think there is a way to set which partition is active. I guess my tutorial only applies for people with MBR

Edited by lokster, 25 August 2012 - 03:58 PM.

sniper9911

sniper9911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i am sorry for the delay
apparently you cant make chameleon boot from efi partition on a UEFI enabled system and with GUID partitioning because it is missing the most important files to make it work (boot.efi and hfs+.efi )
NOTE : UEFI + GUID = Almost real mac ;) so you need to forget about cahmeleon in that case
so i am right now learning more information about CLOVER boot loader
so far i can boot my windows installations from clover
the problem is with mac os x and the whole parameters to be written in order to make it work !!
Does any one have experience with Clover ,,,, If so please help !!

sniper9911

sniper9911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok so far I managed to make chameleon boot my os x from mbr when uefi is disabled
when you enable uefi in bios you will need either chameleon in case of mbr partitioned hdd Or clover (thanks to slice , apianti , damazar and everyone who is developing the bootloader) for guid or mbr
ok uefi and a real gpt forces you to choose clover and it is a very fast bootloader (twice as fast as chameleon with the right efi drivers for your system ) but os x takes more time with me to boot so far ....
anyway I have a question for you :
why do you have that system reserved partition on your hdd while you can directly boot from a mbr partition ??
I am asking that because I did have that partition on my factory default settings for my hdd but I wiped it out all before procceeding to install mac os x anyway
I think you are using a some kind of a hybird method ..... do tell me more please !!

lokster

lokster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
the system reserved is the default windows boot loader install, so when you install windows 7, it makes a tiny partition automatically for its boot loader. You must point chameleon to that partition to successfully boot into windows 7

sniper9911

sniper9911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok I see ,,, point taken ; you are using windows to partition your hdd and then you erase or create another hdd in mac installation for hfs+
Do you know a way for making windows boot manager to boot chameleon ( from hdd partition not from an iso with grub ) ??

patelniket.7

patelniket.7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I tried starting from first step. Formatted my HD with two partitions. Both are formatted ntfs by default I guess. Then installed windows in one and left one blank for Mountain Lion. After successfully installing windows and booting from my unibeast flash drive I am trying to install Mountain Lion by erasing the partition and formatting it to Mac Journal. But it's not letting me erase it. The disk utility giving me an error that "Failed to erase partition. Can't modify partition map." Any ideas how to fix this? Any help will be highly appreciated!!!. Thanks in advance.

coolme345

coolme345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Windows 7 laptop with all my stuff in it, if i install Mountain lion on a separate partition, will my windows 7 programs and files be erased?

fau7i

fau7i

HackintoshOSX Crew

• Super Moderators
  • 1,794 posts

I tried starting from first step. Formatted my HD with two partitions. Both are formatted ntfs by default I guess. Then installed windows in one and left one blank for Mountain Lion. After successfully installing windows and booting from my unibeast flash drive I am trying to install Mountain Lion by erasing the partition and formatting it to Mac Journal. But it's not letting me erase it. The disk utility giving me an error that "Failed to erase partition. Can't modify partition map." Any ideas how to fix this? Any help will be highly appreciated!!!. Thanks in advance.

Choose FAT32 when formatting your target partition from Windows.

I have a Windows 7 laptop with all my stuff in it, if i install Mountain lion on a separate partition, will my windows 7 programs and files be erased?

For sure NO, it will not erase them
Z77 Extreme 6 i5-3570K | HD4000 / HD7870XT [ Clover UEFI > Win8 + ML10.8.5 + Mavericks 10.9.1 ]
Dell Vostro 3550 i5-2450M | HD3000 [ Chameleon r2269 > Win7 + Mavericks 10.9.1 ]

dwme

dwme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have same problem I can boot into OSX with usb chameleon option but Chameleon cant boot into windows 7 says ""bootmanager missing""

If I boot without USB windows 7 boots as normal

I have tried EasyBCD.... no joy there either after installing easybcd and rebooting it doesnt change anything system remains same

The issue seems to be with the EXTRA partition 128mb that win7 created when i parttioned the Probook 4530s whilst iinstalling win7

I have tried Going Bald's Guide and Rehabman's guide

Both fail .... Win7 refuses to install on HDD after partitioning with GUID/fat32 for windows partition
even if i use gparted to reformat to NTFS even if i reboot after first failed install of win7

The only way I could get win7 to install on GUID partition was if i left whole HDD unused that is GUID partition table but unformatted *** yes I am using UEFI BIOS***

Then when I attempt to install win7 no problem

before installing I partitioned the drive maybe this was my mistake upon making another partition win7 automatically creates this extra 128 partition directly after EFI partition

so how can i resolve my boot menu issue EASYBCD installs but fails to action
Chameleon fails to load also but I can use from USB but WIN7 isnt found by Chameleon

fau7i

fau7i

HackintoshOSX Crew

• Super Moderators
  • 1,794 posts
Let's do it from scratch again. Use Disk Utility from your OS X installer to partitioning the whole HDD as GPT. Don't leave any unallocated spaces. E.g
Partition 1 - MS DOS (FAT) > for Win 7
Partition 2 - MS DOT (FAT) > Win data storage
partition 3 - Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) > OS X
Partition 4 - Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) > OS X data storage
Partition 5 - FAT or whatever > for later use, Linux maybe.

Shutdown, and restart with Win 7 DVD. Choose Advanced, select partition no 2 (because 1st partition now belongs to EFI). IF a dialog box asking to create additional partition appears, click cancel. You need to reformat then proceed installation. Update your Win 7 and install all required drivers.

Then continue installing OS X. When OS X went okay, Chameleon will take over. unfortunately you have to fix your hybrid GPT/MBR and Windows bootmgr. Just run gptsync from Linux or OS X. You should be okay
Z77 Extreme 6 i5-3570K | HD4000 / HD7870XT [ Clover UEFI > Win8 + ML10.8.5 + Mavericks 10.9.1 ]
Dell Vostro 3550 i5-2450M | HD3000 [ Chameleon r2269 > Win7 + Mavericks 10.9.1 ]

dwme

dwme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Let's do it from scratch again. Use Disk Utility from your OS X installer to partitioning the whole HDD as GPT. Don't leave any unallocated spaces. E.g
Partition 1 - MS DOS (FAT) > for Win 7
Partition 2 - MS DOT (FAT) > Win data storage
partition 3 - Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) > OS X
Partition 4 - Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) > OS X data storage
Partition 5 - FAT or whatever > for later use, Linux maybe.

Shutdown, and restart with Win 7 DVD. Choose Advanced, select partition no 2 (because 1st partition now belongs to EFI). IF a dialog box asking to create additional partition appears, click cancel. You need to reformat then proceed installation. Update your Win 7 and install all required drivers.

Then continue installing OS X. When OS X went okay, Chameleon will take over. unfortunately you have to fix your hybrid GPT/MBR and Windows bootmgr. Just run gptsync from Linux or OS X. You should be okay

One question.....

Is the advice above good for MBR

OR... is it for EFI (UEFI BIOS)

My particular rig is on pure GIUD with UEFI Partition table

fau7i

fau7i

HackintoshOSX Crew

• Super Moderators
  • 1,794 posts
It's applicable for both MBR and GUID.

However for MBR, you need to repair Windows startup using its DVD (use diskpart to mark as active partition first).

OR, before you proceed OS X installation, use fdisk from Terminal to mark your target partition for OS X as active. It doesn't break your Win7 and at the same time you can continue using Chameleon to boot your machine.

Edited by fau7i, 09 November 2012 - 12:30 AM.
correct words

dwme

dwme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

However for MBR, you need to repair Windows startup using its DVD (use diskpart to mark as active partition first).

OR, before you proceed OS X installation, use fdisk from Terminal to mark your target partition for OS X as active. It doesn't break your Win7 and at the same time you can continue using Chameleon to boot your machine.

What about EFI?

Here is my dilema I have a probook 4530s 500gb sata hd; 4gb mem
I have UEFI enebled in my BIOS and partition is GUID/GPT

Having read around the forums this isnt recommended and especially for less than 2TB HD
However I have installed WIN7; Mountain Lion; and Ubuntu
All three are on my HD and I can boot into all of them

BUT.....
the Bootmanagement is my problem

When i turn on Laptop to boot from HD only WIN7 is available (EasyBCD is installed but fails)

To get to OSX or Ubuntu I have to use USB pendrive with Chimera bootloader

Now I can get into OSX and Ubuntu HOWEVER WIN7 fails (NO bootmgr present)

SOOOO Is there a way to get a bootmanager on my HD that boots into all three OS's

By the way I attempted to Install Chimera ALSO failed

My theory is that they are attempting to install to Windows SRM 128mb (preceeding the EFI partition) partition which is locked

muteki808

muteki808

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello and thank you first of all! I have installed windows 7 on a new rig creating 2 partitions but I don't remember how I formatted the partitions. I installed windows on the 2nd? partition because windows created 3 partitions. I have not touched the 3rd partition because I planned on installing ML there.

How can I install OS X on the third partition using fdisk from Terminal? Is this in windows 7 or during the OS X installation process. I have a ML unibeast installation USB made for the install. You say that this method will not break windows 7 and I can use chameleon.

Also, is better to use multibeast (because it's easy) or install chameleon alone post installation. If chameleon is better can you point me to a good tutorial on how to set it up? I haven't used it before.

my build is:
Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge - Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H rev 1.1 :mad: 8gb Ram - 2TB drive - using onboard HD4000

Thanks in advance!

fau7i

fau7i

HackintoshOSX Crew

• Super Moderators
  • 1,794 posts

I installed windows on the 2nd? partition because windows created 3 partitions.

Your Win7 has created "System Reserved" in first partition that contains boot files and bootsect. So you can't delete or remove it easily (actually you don't have to). Later you can hide/rename it from Chameleon boot.plist.

How can I install OS X on the third partition using fdisk from Terminal? Is this in windows 7 or during the OS X installation process. I have a ML unibeast installation USB made for the install. You say that this method will not break windows 7 and I can use chameleon.

Boot up your Unibeast and when you reach Mac OS X Installer window, open Disk Utility to format your 3rd partition > Mac OSX Extended (Journal). Then open Terminal. Find out your device and partition's identifier

diskutil list

Based on your info, it supposed to be disk0s3 (plz check yourself). To activate your target OS X partition;

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk[COLOR="#0000CD"]0[/COLOR]

print    <--- to check current active partition signed by arterisk (*)
flag [COLOR="#FF0000"]3[/COLOR]   <--- to mark partition 3 to be active
write

reboot

Boot back your Unibeast and proceed installation. If all went okay, you can see all three partitions on Chameleon GUI. Select System Reserved to boot into Windows.

Also, is better to use multibeast (because it's easy) or install chameleon alone post installation. If chameleon is better can you point me to a good tutorial on how to set it up? I haven't used it before.

Multibeast?? I would say, it's a good tool to make things work and maybe worst. Be careful when use it. I prefer a standalone Chameleon pkg and Kext Wizard (to install any kexts) during post installation.

What about EFI?
SOOOO Is there a way to get a bootmanager on my HD that boots into all three OS's

By the way I attempted to Install Chimera ALSO failed

My theory is that they are attempting to install to Windows SRM 128mb (preceeding the EFI partition) partition which is locked

Chimera can't handle uEFI booting, use Clover instead. You can switch booting options and even recall Chameleon when need. You will be surprised with this bootloader > http://www.osx86.net...bootloader.html

On the other hand, you said EasyBCD had failed. Have you tried older version. I don't really remember which one since I don't use it anymore. But the latest at that time also didn't work for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users