1019 replies to this topic

#1 AppliArt

AppliArt

Retired Crew

• Retired Crew
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

OS X 10.6 on AMD - The only guide you'll ever need

You are using AMD, but you have no idea how to install OS X on your pc? Follow this guide and soon you'll be running OS X!

Installing OS X on a normal desktop computer has been exclusive to Intel-based systems for a long time. Since the release of the first AMD kernel for Mac OS X 10.4.8, many AMD-users have been trying to Hackintosh their computers too.
Things got easier when Mac OS X 10.6 was released, when pro-AMD developer Nawcom released AMD-kernels and his ModCD. This whole guide is based on his work, so we’re very happy that he did all this work just for us, AMD-users!

What you’ll need:

• A Gigabyte AMD (890X maximum) or nForce motherboard, ASUS AMD (790X maximum) or nForce motherboard.
  • An empty harddisk, the used filesystem does not matter at the moment
  • A retail Snow Leopard DVD
  • An empty cd or DVD
  • Patience!

What’s in my pc?

Before proceeding with this guide, please make sure you have collected all of your system’s hardware information. The Windows application CPU-Z can help you with this.

This guide is seperated in two different methods, one for AMD chipsets and one for Nforce-based chipsets. Follow the method optimized for your system.

Please read the guide in advance! If you encounter anything unfamiliar or see something you don’t quite understand, feel free to ask in the forums.

The installation

1) Configuring the BIOS

The first thing you’ll need to do is to adjust some settings in your motherboard’ BIOS. To access yours, press the key that corresponds to the BIOS settings when you power on the system. This is mostly something like F12 or the Delete-key (DEL).

The good thing here is that most AMD and Nforce BIOS’s are similar but not always the same. That’s why we can’t tell the exact naming of some things, but we can tell you what to look for. Here is a list of things you should adjust to make your hardware Hackintosh-ready:

Change the SATA-mode to AHCI. By default, it is configured as IDE, so you’ll need to change it to AHCI. Don’t change this when you have a working Windows-installation, it will break it!
Configure standby mode to S3. Some manufacturers already have this mode as default. If this is not the case, change it to S3 or S3 (STR).
Adjust Boot Device Order parameters. The first steps in installing OS X on your machine require booting from a cd. Make sure your optical drive is set as the first boot device. The second item in the order should be the hard drive where you are going to install OS X on.

2) Getting to the installer and preparing your hard drive

The first thing you’ll need to do is downloading and burning Nawcom’s ModCD onto an empty cd. You can download the .iso file from here. When the burning has been finished, reboot your computer and let it boot from it. When it is booted, follow these steps to iniate the installation:

• If everything went well, you should be greeted with the bootloader.
  • Now, swap your ModCD with your retail Snow Leopard copy. Give it some time to read the disc and press F5.
  • When the icon saying “Install Snow Leopard” appears, press your Enter-key. Some text will appear, Wait until the line “Press any key to continue” appears. Press any key to continue.
  • For a period of time, the only thing you’ll see is a bunch of white text scrolling down on a black background. This is the retail DVD trying to boot the installer. This could take a while and don’t panic when it seems stuck.
  • After a while, the installer should come up. You may press Continue.
  • Accept the license and click the button Utilities found in the menubar. A drop-down list will appear. One of the options there is Disk Utility. Click on it and the window will appear.
  • We can manage and format our hard disks with this tool. On the left side, you’ll see all of your hard drivers. Select the one where OS X will be installed on and click on the Format-button. Select “Mac OS X Formatted (Journaled) as filesystem and give it a pretty name.

3) Customizing your installation

We are getting closer to actually installing OS X. What we need to do now is to select the right kexts for your chipset. Pay attention now, because this is where the guide will be divided in two. One for each type of chipset, AMD and Nforce.

• A dialog will appear where you can select where you want to install Snow Leopard onto. In the bottom left corner is a button called Customize. Click it.
  • A list box will show up. Click the arrow next to Custom options. You’ll need to select certain things here, which are different for each chipset. Follow the steps for your chipset.
  • AMD chipset

Select the following options:

• Legacy Kernel
  • AppleATIATA
  • VoodooHDA

Networking should’ve been detected automatically and do not select GraphicsEnabler and Sleepenabler!

Nforce chipset

Select the following options:

• Legacy Kernel
  • AppleNForceATA
  • VoodooHDA

Networking should’ve been detected automatically and do not select GraphicsEnabler and Sleepenabler!

4) The actual installation

When all options are selected, we can proceed to the installation. Press OK on the list box and click Install.

Installation can take up to 20 minutes! If it seems stuck after a couple of minutes, move the mouse and in most cases it will work again.

5) Post-installation

Hooray! You are getting closer and closer to have a working AMD Hackintosh! You’ll just need to follow these last steps to make your installation boot on it’s own, and make it safe for updates that will be installed in the future.
  • When the installation is done, the system will reboot itself. Swap your retail Snow Leopard copy back for the ModCD.
  • Let it boot until you reach the bootloader. Select your own Snow Leopard partition here with the direction keys and press Enter when you have selected it.
  • Have patience here as the first boot always takes a lot of time. Probably will take between five and ten minutes.
  • When booted, fill in the forms given by OS X. This can be a bit sluggish, that’s because the graphics card is not yet installed.
  • Now we need to install a bootloader, so that our system can boot on it’s own. Something like Chameleon v2.1 will do. The one we’ll be using can be found here.
  • Extract the file using the built-in unarchiver. You’ll end up with a .pkg file. You can execute it by double-clicking on it. Follow the steps given in the installer and finish installation.
  • Reboot your system and eject the ModCD. Your Hackintosh can now boot on it’s own.
  • If everything went well, you should be greeted with the OS X desktop. There are still a few things missing, including graphics acceleration. We’ll fix that in the next chapter.

6) Some graphics acceleration for you, sir?

Graphics acceleration is absolutely needed for having the perfect OS X experience. Without it, everything will be pretty sluggish and slow, and certain applications won’t even work. This is one of the reasons why it is necessary to have read this guide before doing the actual installation.

However! Nowadays, most (modern) graphics cards are supported due to the updates Chameleon has got in the recent years. The following steps can be applied to most graphics cards; if it does not work out for you, let us know in the forums! That way we can search a solution for you!

GraphicsEnabler is an automatic graphics card injector built into your Chameleon bootloader. It has got more compatible with different cards over the years, so chances are high it will work with your system too!

• Most cards from Nvidia: from the 7xxx series all the way to the modern 5xx cards (although not always stable)
  • Modern cards from AMD: HD5xxx to HD6xxx are out-of-the-box, older cards are trial and error.

To check if it works with your current setup, simply type in GraphicsEnabler=yes when in the bootloader. Chameleon then will boot with that given parameter. If it works (eg. you have a transparent menubar), follow the next steps so we can make it permanent.
  • Open Finder and click on the Go option in your menubar. A dropdown list will appear with the Go to folder option. Click it and enter the following: /extra
  • A Finder window will appear. There will be a file called org.chameleon.boot.plist. Click and drag the file to your desktop, to make sure it is editable.
  • Open the file and underneath the last line, type in the following:
  • org.chameleon.Boot.plist
  • <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
  • <string>Yes</string>
  • Put the edited file back so it overwrites the previous one.
  • Reboot OS X and enjoy your working GPU!

Edited by John, 31 May 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 ivokik

ivokik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

Very nice guide! Thanks will check it out in couple of hours !
Thanks a lot !!!
Hacintosh I : HP 7100 2.8 gHz SSF / 2GB /Nvidia 8400GT / NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express / OSX 10.6.3 MyHack

Hacintosh II: installatie met iBoot en origineel DVD 10.6
Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3
IntelCore i5-760
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 - 8GB
and here comes the trick : MSI R5570 - still NOT working :confused:
but MSI N8400GS woks out of the box ( deze gebruik ik in de G4 MDD) :cool:
MSI 8800GTS also works out of the box ( deze kaart is geleend) :rolleyes:

#3 mathijs727

mathijs727

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

Great work!
A guide even a noob like me can do.
Luckely i have a ma-780 chipset, and a PhenomII x4 processor.

I've installed it in VMware workstation to see if it actually works.
I only discovered 1 bug: my internet won't work on VMware, it just keeps asking for my phone number and stuff like that.

If i want to instal this for real, can i use my sitecom wl-302 with the mac driver?

Thanks for writing this tut!

BTW: the modCD link is dead, here's a working one: http://blog.nawcom.c...-171757.iso.zip

Edited by mathijs727, 29 March 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#4 GermanCorbs

GermanCorbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for this guide. I was about to give up with Mac OS. I had tried almost everything, and when I saw this it looked promising. I tried it and the install was successful. Now, I need your help with the video card, sound, and maybe network (if possible). I have a nVidia GeForce GTS 450, but I can't get it working. I've also had no luck with the audio. My sound card is a ALC 888S. Finally, I highly doubt I can get internet working. I have a Linksys WUSB100 wireless adapter and a Linksys AE1000 wireless adapter. Any help would be greatly appretiated. Thanks!

With friendly greetings/Mit freundlichen Grüssen.
Corbin.

P.S. I forgot to mention that USB devices aren't recognized.

Edited by GermanCorbs, 29 March 2011 - 11:15 PM.
Spelling Error.

#5 AppliArt

AppliArt

Retired Crew

• Retired Crew
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Please stick to the thread, thank you.
Posted Image

#6 protools

protools

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

My board :
CPU : AMD Phenom™ II x6 1090T
MB : Gigabyte GA-890FXA UD7
Mem : Corsair CMP4GX3M2B1600C8-8Gb (4x2Gb) 2048 1600MHz
VGA : Geforce GT210 - 512 Mb
HDD : Western Digital WD 2TeraByte

Thank You , I have been trying for 2weeks and nothing happened, I can't get SL on my computer.
So, I will try and follow your guide AppliArt, I hope I can install Snow Leopard on my AMD Computer. One thing that I want to ask you is : Can I install using the original 10.6.6 ( I borrowed from my friend, he just bought Macbook Pro core2 duo), instead of using 10.6.3 as you suggested, so I don't have to do the section 4 : updating. Is it possible with this tutorial/guide?

Please let me know, I'm so desperate for this 2 weeks waiting for Snow Leopard on my board hikhikhik....

Thank you

#7 AppliArt

AppliArt

Retired Crew

• Retired Crew
  • 414 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

If it is an Update disc, it won't work. :s
Posted Image

#8 protools

protools

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

Sorry AppliArt, I think It's not an update disc,but I don't have it yet cause I have to borrowed it from my friend. He just bought this "APPLE MacBook Pro [MC375ZA/A] Apple MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz, 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR3, 320GB HDD, DVD±RW, GbE NIC, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, VGA NVIDIA GeForce GT 320M 256MB, Camera, 13.3" WLED, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard".

So, is it ok I use this disc 10.6 Snow Leopard ? (Is it retail one? or original one?), then later update to 10.6.6?

Thank you

#9 protools

protools

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hi AppliArt, finally I got the original/retail Snow Leopard 10.6.4 from my friend- and

I follow your guide until
Chapter 2 -
9) Now, you'll be prompted with the GUI of the Snow Leopard installer. You may press "Continue".

And after that I got the letter say like this :

"MAC OS X can't be installed on this computer . If you want to restore your system from a time machine backup, click restore from backup or restart"

I took some pictures for you to see. I try to insert here, but I don't know how to do that because everytime I click insert image, there is an instruction say "Please enter the URL of your image" :-(

Please brother any help with installation, I really appreciated that.

Thankyou

#10 protools

protools

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]867[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]868[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]869[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]870[/ATTACH]

#11 protools

protools

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

When I type march_kernel and -force64 the computer just hang (see picture amd4.jpg) stiil waiting for root device, and finally I didn't type anything just push enter, It went thru Chapter 2 - 9 and stuck (see picture amd6.jpg). :-( , please help me . TQ

#12 schokuhfar

schokuhfar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

Special thanks.

I tried this method on GA-MA790FXT UD5P
AMD Phenom II x4 965
8G.B Ram DDR3 Corsair 1333
Nvidia 8400 GS XFX 512 M.B

Retail 10.6.3 + Nawcom ModCD + Combo Update 10.6.6 + Legacy Kernel 10.6.7 + Multibeast 3.4 for fixing restart & shutdown

but only I must boot in 32bit + maxmem=4096, it doesn't work with 8G.b that caused to turned off.
Also my Lan doesn't work.

thanks again
:-)

#13 AppliArt

AppliArt

Retired Crew

• Retired Crew
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

Special thanks.

I tried this method on GA-MA790FXT UD5P
AMD Phenom II x4 965
8G.B Ram DDR3 Corsair 1333
Nvidia 8400 GS XFX 512 M.B

Retail 10.6.3 + Nawcom ModCD + Combo Update 10.6.6 + Legacy Kernel 10.6.7 + Multibeast 3.4 for fixing restart & shutdown

but only I must boot in 32bit + maxmem=4096, it doesn't work with 8G.b that caused to turned off.
Also my Lan doesn't work.

thanks again
:-)

Please make a new topic for your problems, so that this thread does not get flooded by Help Me posts. ;)
Posted Image

#14 Endracion

Endracion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:42 AM

Are you certain about your S1 for sleep? Because on my board GA-MA790XT-UD4P, it only shuts off the screen. S3 is save to RAM, but sadly that pretty much just instantly shuts down my computer instead. I had a working sleep before, but I can't seem to remember how I had made it work since I had to reinstall. I'm currently trying to work that out.

#15 AppliArt

AppliArt

Retired Crew

• Retired Crew
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

Have you tried using SleepEnabler?
Posted Image

#16 Endracion

Endracion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, I'm using Nawcom's. The latest one, along with the legacy kernel. I'm really confused as I thought it was the one I had used previously. It is possible that it has to do with BIOS settings though.

#17 alteredvid

alteredvid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

I get to the bootloader screen after I press enter to the "install mac osx" and it gets to " press any key to continue" I press a key and it reads this "EHCI controller [1002:4396] at 00:12.2 DMA @ fe8ff800"

It doesn't do anything from there...any ideas?

I have an AMD x4 Anthelon 2.8ghz and Asus M4a785-m Motherboard.

I would love to get this installed..but its tough.

I have a retail 10.6.3 Disc I bought yesterday and used the MOD bootloader linked in this thread.

#18 AppliArt

AppliArt

Retired Crew

• Retired Crew
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

Could you try putting USB Mode to Legacy USB? You can find it somewhere in the BIOS.
Posted Image

#19 alteredvid

alteredvid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

Ok .. So I got it working..I had to unplug my usb attachments and it booted up and installed. I installed the "Chameleon 2 RC5 Installer (r693)" and after I did that.. well when i tried booting it up with the MODCD after install of the installer it would seem to start to boot into osx then reboot automatically. I tried verbose, ignore cache and normal and it would reboot or get stuck for like 10 mins on the grey screen with an apple on it.

I do think I forgot to customize the install and it installed as it would be a default..Could that be it? Don't I just unclick items and not add anything?

Any ideas?

Should I reinstall it from scratch and try a new Chameleon Installer?

#20 AppliArt

AppliArt

Retired Crew

• Retired Crew
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

Don't boot with the ModCD. ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users